Friday, August 22, 2014

On Your Mark?

A new school year began three weeks ago.  This is year 19th for me as a third grade teacher.  Each year comes with a new group of kids and a new lesson or lessons for me to learn.

So, what am I learning this year?

Well, first, I'm learning how to be more independent.  For the past 15 years, give or take, I've planned my yearly curriculum with Mary Wilson.  Through those years, she became one of my dearest friends.  However, she retired last June, so this year...I'm learning to plan "solo".  It's a new experience, but God has given me the creativity and mindset to focus.  Plus, I have all my "old unit plans" saved, so I simply edit & revise to fit this class and this year's new schedule.

What else am I learning?  How to be more accepting...I suppose.  My beliefs and my faith make me who I am, but I've been convicted to accept others as they are.  I can't expect others to follow my faith & beliefs.  Everyone makes choices, and their choices are their business.  [Psst, I still keep praying, though.]

I'm also learning how to be "okay" just being "Jodi".  I realize that I often "don't fit".  I've, at times, shed tears by this thought.  However, through prayer, Bible study, and singing praises...God is reminding me that He created me to be..."me".  Plus, He throws Bible verses and well-known quotes into my thoughts whenever a "pity party" begins....

"Be still, and know that I am God." [Don't fret Jodi, I've got this.]
"You are wonderfully and fearfully made." [I created you the way you are, so don't think you don't measure up.  I'm your Creator."
"Why try to fit in when you were born to stand out." [Dr. Seuss was right, Jodi.  Be the person I created you to be rather than trying to fit the molds of others.]
"Keep being Jodi." [Who do you think prompted the writer to send you that note?]

Yes....the race has started!  There are 19 third graders, 1 student teacher, 1 teacher's aide, and 1 cadet teacher who call 302 "home" for at least part of the day/year.  So, make it count.

On your mark....get set.....GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment