Thursday, August 9, 2018

Ah, 23...Looks Like a Good Year

As of 2:55 pm on Thursday, August 9, 2018, I have completed my first week of year 23.  Based on first impressions, I believe this is going to be a good year.

So far....
   One student has told me he heard I was mean.  I asked, "By whom?"  He replied it was his brother, but when he told me who is brother was...I was totally confused.  I don't even know who it is.  So, he then adds, "Well, it might not have been you, it could've been that other teacher."
     One student, whose sister was in my class three years ago, has already gifted me a piece of artwork to add to my wall.
     I've had a handful of parents already sending me either emails, FB messages, or Class Dojo messages communicating difficulties or questions, so we can work together to ensure we have a productive year.
     A couple of my students are the nephews of previous students.  Connections usually make things go more smoothly.
     One of my girls is my first "second generation" student.  Her dad wasn't in my personal classroom, but he was a student in the 6th grade class where I completed a medical leave about 25 years ago.  I chuckled when he told me that he told his daughter NOT to tell me who her father was...(Dad was a bit of a challenging student back as a 6th grader).
     Then, there was the student who had stated frequently...
         "I love this class."
         " Is it already time to go?  This day goes way too fast."
            and today's...
         "I love this school.  I love our class.  I love you."

My cup runneth over.

     However, even the most challenging years have been good years.  Why?  Challenges make us grow stronger.  As teachers, challenges help us improve our classroom management, differentiation, and/or teaching strategies.  Perhaps, they help increase our resolve to make a difference.   There have been a few of my 23 years where I've had to remind myself that there's a reason that this combination of students landed in my classroom, and God has a purpose for me being their teacher. 

     You see, I believe in a sovereign God.  This means, I believe my steps are ordained by my Creator...even the steps that lead me through storms or into valleys.  Even in those storms and valleys, I come away with something good, and I can glorify the One who gave me the passion for this profession.

What about you?  Regardless of your life's path, what can you learn from today?  How can you grow from yesterday?  What good can come from your storm?  How can your journey be used for His glory? 

Yes, sometimes I ponder the big questions.  Yet other times, I ponder the small.  What little thing can I do tomorrow to make a difference in the life or lives of the kiddos in my classroom?  Be the one who steps up to shine Light in the darkness.  Get plugged in to the power of the Word of God and speak and do the truths you read.

Well...that's all the pondering I have time for right now...so....how's your day/week/year look?

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them."  Romans 8:28

"For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our heart, so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6




No comments:

Post a Comment