Monday, July 30, 2018

Maybe One Day...

Back in the eighties, I was a high school student.  During that time of my life, I started putting my feelings, insights, and thoughts into poems.  A few I turned in for assignments, but most...I just wrote in a poetry journal.  When my parents celebrated their 25th anniversary, I typed (yes, that was back in the day of typewriters) some of my poems up into a binder for their present.  I'm guessing my mom probably enjoyed it more than my dad, as he isn't really a poetry fan.  It was nice that someone was reading my poetry.  I thought, "Maybe one day, I'll put them into a real book of poetry."

While attending Carson-Newman College in pursuit of my elementary education degree, I remember one of my professors having us read a novel written by a teacher.  I thought that would be very valuable.  However, I was a bit disappointed when I started reading the book.  Even though I wanted to teach in an elementary school, I was reading about things that might transpire in a middle school.  Now, it wasn't a bad book.  It was enjoyable to read, but...it wasn't applicable.  So, I thought to myself, "Maybe one day, I'll write a book as an elementary teacher, so future elementary majors could read a book that was more suitable."

After four years of substitute teaching, I was thrilled to be offered a job teaching third grade at Southwestern Elementary.  A few years into teaching, I discovered Louis Sachar's Wayside School series.  Every year, they are a big hit with my students as I read them aloud complete with sound effects and voices.  Most years, one of my students will utter this thought, "I wish he would have written four books instead of three.  Then, you could read one each nine weeks."  A few classes have even pondered writing Mr. Sachar a persuasive letter to see if he would write just one more in the series, so elementary classes everywhere could enjoy one each nine-weeks.  Then, a few years ago, I stumbled upon Upchuck & the Rotten Willy series written by Bill Wallace.  Guess what!  Yep, there are three books in the series.  Again, my students suggested we ask him to write a fourth one to make the read aloud options easier.  So, I promised them, "One day, if I ever write a chapter book series, I'll make sure there are at least four books."

Last spring, I saw something on Facebook where teachers ask former students to share something they remember about being in their classes and to let them know what was going on in their lives currently.  So, I posted it and relished the comments and memories that were posted.  One stood out as Abigail wrote, "I remember the plethora of stories you told us about Jasper."  First, I was thrilled that she was using one of my favorite pizzazz words, plethora.  Secondly, I was impressed that my Jasper stories remained in her memory.  I thought, "You know, one of these days I should really write a Jasper book."

About five years ago, I started doing an author study in my classroom of Patricia Polacco.  I adore her books, both their lessons and the personal glimpse of her childhood.  As I was going through a Powerpoint presentation I found online about her with my students, I found that she didn't start her writing career until she was in her forties.  Guess what!  I am in my forties, too!  I thought to myself, "See, it's not to late.  One of these days, I should actually go for it."

This summer, I didn't have any big plans.  As a single lady, I'm not a big fan of going on solo trips.  Many moons ago, I would go on trips to Tennessee to visit friends from college.  Then, I'd go on trips to Ohio to visit friends.  But alas, I didn't have a grand desire to go anywhere this summer.  However, I'm a BIG FAN of goals!  So, I decided to create four goals for my summer to ensure it was restful and productive.

Summer Goals...

1.  Exercise Goal: My routine had been overruled by a rather time-consuming instruction year. The only week this summer I haven't exercised two-five times was the one after I sprained my ankle.

2. Cooking Goal: As a single lady, I tend to settle for the simple, such as a sandwich, soup, breakfast or drive-through.  So, I told myself I had to try one new recipe each week.  Now, none of them have been over-the-top superb, but none of them have been inedible either.  Last recipe will go in the slower cooker tomorrow to provide dinner and then leftovers as school resumes on Wednesday.

3.  Reading Goal:  I LOVE to read, but during the school year I tell myself I can only read a chapter or two before bed.  My goal was to read 10 just-for-pleasure books.  When I reached that in the midst of July, I increased it to 15.  Woohoo!  My 15th book was finished last Friday!

4.  Writing Goal:  Start writing one of my book ideas into an actual book and follow through with turning it into a published book.  Now, I'm not planning on giving up my day job because, let's face it, I LOVE teaching, so I decided to simply use the self-publishing option on Amazon.  My book is written.  Connor, my nephew, agreed to be my illustrator and is working on illustrations.  I've attended a Writer's Workshop at Jefferson County Library to gain some insights.  And...I'm HOPING to have my first attempt at becoming a published author completed before Connor heads to school at the end of August.

You see, I figured most of us tell ourselves that "one day" we'll get around to this or that.  One day, I'll start exercising regularly.  One day....  Guess what!  Today is ONE day, so go for it!  Whatever you've been thinking about...but putting off because of fear of failing or whatever...go for it.
What's the worst that could happen?
     My book could be available on Amazon and only my family and friends buy it...
     Well, that's more people reading "my book" than there are now...so....Go for it!

The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.  Proverbs 16:9




No comments:

Post a Comment